1. WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying His command.
- “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’” —Matthew 3:16–17
- “Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.’” —Matthew 28:18–20
2. WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
- You are a follower of Jesus Christ.
“Those who accepted his message were baptized.” —Acts 2:41
- You are beginning a changed life in Christ.
“We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” —Romans 6:4
- You are part of a new family.
“So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” —Galatians 3:26–27
3. I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED, SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Your baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should be baptized again.
4. CAN MY CHILD BE BAPTIZED?
We baptize children (2nd grade and up) who understand what baptism symbolizes and want to make that personal public declaration. We encourage parents to partner with Startown and BC Students to guide children through these decisions of faith. Students and children must take a baptism orientation class prior to baptism. For more information to help guide your child through this important decision, check out this video.
To register your child, visit http://startownkids.com/news-events/ or email Leanne Fontenot at firstname.lastname@example.org. To register your student contact, Cody Mummau at email@example.com.
5. CAN MY INFANT BE BAPTIZED?
Throughout the New Testament, the Bible teaches that baptism is a public expression of worship symbolizing the new life we have when we follow Jesus. In the Bible we see that Jesus’ parents dedicated him to the Lord (Luke 2:22–40), and he was later baptized as an adult (Matthew 3:16–17).
We offer Beginnings Celebration, our baby dedication celebration, to give parents an opportunity to commit themselves to Christ and affirm their commitment to work towards living a life that shows Christ to their children and others. For more information about Beginnings Celebration, contact Amy Giles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
You will want to wear a dark pair of pants/shorts and a dark shirt that cannot be seen through when wet. You will need to bring a towel, a change of clothes, and other accessories you may need (hair dryer, make-up, etc.).
7. AFTER BAPTISM, WHAT IS AVAILABLE TO HELP ME TO GROW IN MY RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST?
Our primary tool for helping people grow as disciples or followers of Christ is life groups. Life groups give you the opportunity to learn what the Bible says about living a Christ-centered life. Life groups also allow you do life together with other followers of Jesus. To connect in a life group, contact John Whitaker at email@example.com or visit our life group page here.
Have questions about baptism?
If you have questions about baptism or aren’t sure you’re ready, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you‘re ready to take this important step in your faith, please watch the video below then complete the registration form, choosing the date you’d like to be baptized. We look forward to helping you take your next step in your relationship with Christ.